School Kitchen Assistants are responsible for the preparation and positive service of meals to students and staff of schools within the Nutrition Services Department of Federal Way School District. The position is responsible to prepare quality meals that are safe and sanitary and to follow Nutrition Services Department protocol for all aspects of meal service at the school.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. This list is meant to be representative, not exhaustive. Some incumbents may not perform all the duties listed while in other cases related duties may also be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Assist Kitchen Manager with lunch set-up preparation and clean up as directed by Kitchen Manager.
• Communicate and serve meals to students, plating food per request, make sandwiches or other serving activities during mealtime.
• Collect cash, sell tickets, make change at mealtime. Operate Point of Sale register utilizing computer keyboards or keypads, computer screens and printers and other equipment. Operate manual meal service ticketing systems as needed according to department protocol.
• Prepare and maintain records for number of lunches and ala-carte items sold each meal time and each day according to department protocol. Keep accurate and complete records as required.
• Verify receipt of milk and other deliveries as assigned. Record amount of milk (and other foods as assigned) left after serving.
• Check plate count used with the Kitchen Manager. Prepare report of cashier station if assigned. Keep areas surrounding cashier station and under responsibility clean, well stocked and attractive.
• Arrange food in attractive displays.
• Maintain confidentiality and dignity of students receiving free and reduced meals. Provide positive, professional and friendly service. • Wash pots and pans, perform cleaning activities for all equipment, save or discard food per foodservice sanitation protocol, sweep floors of kitchen and perform other clean-up activities within the kitchen.
• Attend all contracted meetings.
• Develop and maintain positive customer relations with students, staff and service providers.
• Work collaboratively with District and Kitchen manager staff and promote teamwork with co-workers.
• Federal Way School District requires employees to adhere and comply with the State of Washington and King County Department of Health food code.
• Protect confidentiality of District materials and rights of senders and recipients, consistent with District ethical guidelines.
• Able to relate effectively with parents, staff, students and the public in a multicultural and multiracial community.
• Take place of Kitchen Manager as assigned.
The preceding list of responsibilities is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent
Current FWPS Employee or Guest Employee with Nutrition Services
Work scheduled hours on a consistent basis
Past experience in service industry serving the public, cash handling experience
Working knowledge of basic computer applications
National School Lunch Program experience
Member ASFSA, WSFSA Condition Of Employment Criminal background clearance
Possess and maintain a valid and current Food Handler's Permit Adhere to attire protocol
Possess and maintain a valid Washington state driver’s license
Knowledge Of School board policies and procedures
Basic mathematics and reading
Ability To Continue professional growth
Organize and perform job responsibilities efficiently and independently without close supervision and able to pay strict attention to detail
Speak, read and follow written or verbal communications in English
Practice effective safety and security within individual work routines
Develop and maintain positive customer relations with staff and service providers
Work collaboratively with District staff and promote teamwork with co-workers
Practice ethical and professional standards of conduct including the requirements of confidentiality
Relate effectively with parents, staff, students and the public in a multicultural and multiracial community
Function in a calm, efficient, courteous and professional manner
Establish and maintain a positive, tactful, cooperative and effective working relationship with children and others
Accurately and rapidly make correct change and record types of lunches and milk served Interact positively with a wide range of temperaments and personalities
Maneuver self, carts and food/supplies within constrained kitchen environment with heavy equipment, tables and carts
Perform job responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodations
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES RELATED TO CULTURAL COMPETENCE AND EQUITY: Knowledge/awareness of own cultural identity and how this influences behavior, and desire to learn about the cultural identity of others.
Ability to establish and nurture an environment that promotes cultural competence and equitable treatment of staff, students, and patrons of the District.
Ability to understand and hold self and others accountable for promoting the Federal Way Public Schools’ commitment to “Each Scholar: A Voice. A Dream. A Bright Future.”
Ability to recognize that each person is a unique individual even as we celebrate their group cultural heritage.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently stand and walk, bend neck and back, use hands for repetitive grasping and pushing/pulling. The employee will perform repetitive physical tasks involving lifting and hand movements such as scooping food or other activity. The employee is frequently required to squat, stoop, kneel, and use hands for fine manipulation. The employee will occasionally be required to sit, lift and reach overhead, crawl, and lift/carry. The position also requires driving, hearing, speaking, writing, and keyboarding. The employee must constantly lift/handle at least 40 pounds. The employee will occasionally lift/handle at least 50 lbs. The employee is occasionally required to push/pull carts weighing at least 400 lbs.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Position requires ability to work in low temperature environments such as walk in refrigerators or freezers, or work with food that is in a frozen or very hot state. Position also requires exposure to angry, frustrated, or aggressive individuals.
WORK SCHEDULE Work schedules are varied according to the available meal times of the building and may change according to building needs.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP Position reports to Kitchen Manager and Director of Nutrition Services