Are you interested in working for a purpose-driven organization that is owned by, and accountable to, its members-not its shareholders? Where you can collaborate with teams that help deliver products and services to over 1.3 million members? Then read on-BECU might just be the right fit for you. BECU is a national leader among financial institutions. With over $29 billion in assets, we're among the largest credit unions in the nation. We've been in business for over 86 years, serving the financial well-being of our community and helping our members achieve life-long financial goals.
Here's what else sets us apart:
• Our members-first ethos.
• Unique benefits, perks and workplace culture.
• Philanthropy and community involvement.
• Remote, flexible and hybrid work opportunities. To learn more visit becu.org/careers.
The Principal Designer works closely with the Experience Leadership at BECU and partners in advancing the capabilities of BECU's design practices and influencing the design of experiences that are highly valued by our members and drive business results. This role will collaborate across teams to create product visions, define measurable experience outcomes, and be hands-on implementing the work. The Principal Designer educates and advocates the practice of human-centered design, as well helping define the standards to raise the technical performance of designers across BECU. This role is expected to keep track of industry-standard trends, practices, and technologies, aligning industry standards to internal strategies that allow BECU to excel in the market.
• Perform all responsibilities in accordance with BECU Competencies, compliance, regulatory, and Information Protection requirements.
• Discover and frame ambiguous problems, and drive solutions for strategic projects on digital platforms in collaboration with product owners and managers.
• Identify holistic needs and lead the creation of design standards and patterns, style guides, and frameworks.
• Create, document, maintain, disseminate, and test design frameworks. Frameworks include but are not limited to component pattern libraries, accessibility specifications, color palettes, typography, iconography.
• Create, document, maintain, disseminate, and test design practices. Practices include but are not limited to; onboarding and training of designers, organization of design assets, and knowledge dissemination practices between designers.
• Provide technical and leadership support for designers and partner with direct managers to mentor designers in various stages of their careers.
• Drive ongoing testing of design frameworks and practices to ensure design and experience consistency, quality, and performance across channels, teams, and designers.
• Audit and monitor design metrics such as Accessibility Coverage, BECU's unified look and feel coverage, Quality of Experience, Return on Investment (ROI), and others.
• Collaborate with researchers, designers, developers, and other partners to continually solve highly complex digital experience problems faced by BECU members.
• Stay current with emerging technologies and new applications of existing technologies.
• Responsible for building a culture of design excellence.
• Perform additional duties, as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree in HCDE, HCI, HFID or related field, or equivalent education and/or experience required. Advanced degree preferred.
• Minimum 10 years UI and UX research and design experience required.
• Portfolio that demonstrates expertise at designing solutions that work not only locally, but that can holistically integrate across platforms required.
• Certification in Accessibility, or equivalent practical experience required.
• Highly proficient with Visual Design, Interaction Design, User Experience Design, and User Experience Research. Mastery of design tools required.
• Experience in collaboratively developing design standards, patterns, style guides, best practices, and frameworks for design teams required.
• Strong understanding of and experience with agile methodologies required.
• Excellent verbal and written skills to effectively communicate in presentations or technical reports to executive-level audiences required.
• Experience working for a tech company preferred.
• Management training, or equivalent practical experience in managing, mentoring, and/or teaching designers, preferred.
• Full-time hours required, with additional hours or travel as necessary.
BECU is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status