Part Time Faculty - Math Department Open Continuous
- General Summary
This is an open continuous application process to apply for Part Time Faculty Math Department positions at Highline College.The department coordinator will review applications to fill needs as they arise. Vacancies may be identified ahead of time, such as offering multiple classes in a subject in an upcoming quarter, or vacancies may occur with little notice, such as when needed to backfill in an unanticipated situation. There may be times when the department is not hiring for adjunct faculty.
Openings for Fall Quarter 2017 may include:Math classes are categorized by two groups: developmental math and general math. Please specify your area of expertise and experience within your online application.
Developmental Math Summary: Developmental mathematics includes arithmetic, beginning algebra, essentials of intermediate algebra, essentials of geometry, and intermediate algebra for calculus. Most courses use computer aided instruction for homework and all algebra courses use graphing calculators. Most courses require teaching of study skills.
General Math Summary: Teaching general math courses ranging from arithmetic to calculus and most courses in between. Many courses require graphing calculators and computer aided instruction for homework. Developmental math courses require teaching of study skillsPlease use the following links to gain more information on classes offered through this department:
Dept Website: http://math.highline.edu/index.php
Course Descriptions: https://bob.highline.edu/caf/?page=main&deptID=26&dept=Mathematics
- Essential Tasks
RESPONSIBILITIES OF PART-TIME FACULTY:
• To provide instruction to students and help promote effective learning.
• To ensure that course content is consistent with department guidelines.
• To maintain communication with department coordinator, and with department faculty.
• To meet and maintain, as a condition of employment, the requirements for certification
appropriate to the faculty member's particular field. This may include vocational certification and
• To be able to assist students with educational planning or direct students to appropriate campus
• To pursue appropriate professional development activities in order to stay current in assigned
teaching fields, program, and discipline.
• To comply with applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
• To maintain a standard of honest and ethical behavior in their professional duties.
• To maintain and submit required institutional and state records and reports on a timely basis.
• To assume reasonable responsibility for care and safekeeping of College supplies and
- BA/BS in mathematics or in a related subject area; and
- Graphing calculator profiency.
- MA/MS in Mathematics or MAT, emphasis education; and
- Teaching experience.
- MA/MS/MAT in mathematics; and
- Graphing calculator proficiency; and
- Teaching experience.
- Supplemental Information
Highline College is situated in a diverse community just 20 minutes south of Seattle where we serve a student population of over 70% students of color, representing over 35 nations and more than 100 languages. The college embraces equity, inclusion, and social justice, with core goals of Student Attainment, Diversity, Community Engagement, and Sustainability. Highline received a distinguished Award of Excellence from the American Association of Community Colleges in 2014, as well as the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award in 2013 and 2014. The college was also named one of the Chronicle of Higher Education's Best Colleges to Work for in 2010, 2013 and 2015.
Your online application must include the following attachments in order to be considered complete:
- Current Resume.
- Letter of Interest (Cover Letter) describing how your skills and abilities relate to this position.
- Diversity Response Statement (found under the Supplemental Questions tab).