Par Time Faculty - History Department
This is an open continuous application process to apply for Part Time Faculty History positions at Highline College.The department coordinator will review applications to fill needs as they arise. Vacancies may be identified ahead of time, such as offering multiple classes in a subject in an upcoming quarter, or vacancies may occur with little notice, such as when needed to backfill in an unanticipated situation. There may be times when the department is not hiring for Part Time Faculty.Openings in the History department for Fall 2017:
Salary will depend upon the number of classes taught.
- Essential Tasks
RESPONSIBILITIES OF PART-TIME FACULTY:
• To provide instruction to students and help promote effective learning;
• To ensure that course content is consistent with department guidelines;
• To maintain communication with department coordinator, and with department faculty;
• To meet and maintain, as a condition of employment, the requirements for certification appropriate to the faculty member's particular field. This may include vocational certification and professional licensing;
• To be able to assist students with educational planning or direct students to appropriate campus resources;
• To pursue appropriate professional development activities in order to stay current in assigned teaching fields, program, and discipline;
• To comply with applicable state and federal laws and regulations;
• To maintain a standard of honest and ethical behavior in their professional duties;
• To maintain and submit required institutional and state records and reports on a timely basis;
• To assume reasonable responsibility for care and safekeeping of College supplies and equipment.
- Master's degree in History or closely related field.
- Unofficial transcripts will be required at time of hire.
- Teaching experience at the college level.
- Supplemental Information
Highline College prides itself on its commitment to diversity and equity, its institutional culture of collegiality and innovation, its globalization of curricula, and its inclusion of the community in its programming.Located 20 minutes south of downtown Seattle, Highline College serves one of the most diverse populations in the western states. Nearly 70 percent of the college's 12,000 students are students of color, representing over 35 nations and more than 100 languages.
Highline's core goals are Student Attainment, Diversity, Community Engagement, and Sustainability. The college community strives to maintain a campus climate that integrates equity, inclusion, and social justice as core values.
Highline has received national recognition for its diversity efforts and its support for faculty and student success. The college received the Advancing Diversity Award of Excellence from the American Association of Community Colleges (AACC) in 2014, as well as the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award in 2013, 2014, and 2015. Highline was also named one of the Chronicle of Higher Education's Best Colleges to Work For in 2010, 2013, and 2015. The national Achieving the Dream initiative named Highline as a Leader College in 2008, reaffirming that recognition in 2011.
Highline's faculty number more than 500, including more than 120 full-time faculty and 350 part-time instructors. Highline offers one of the highest full-time faculty salary levels in the state and strong support for faculty professional growth, innovation, and leadership.
Your application must include the following attachments in order to be considered complete:
- Current Resume;
- Letter of Interest (Cover Letter) describing your skills and abilities related to this position;
- A one page Diversity Response (found in the Supplemental Questions);
- Transcripts documenting undergraduate and graduate course work and degrees (unofficial transcripts may be submitted - official transcripts required upon employment).
Please be aware that the College appointing authorities reserve the right and may exercise the option to make an employment decision prior to the conclusion of the recruitment process.