Communications Consultant 2
- General Summary
Highline College is situated in a diverse community just 20 minutes south of Seattle where we serve a student population of over 70% students of color, representing over 35 nations and more than 100 languages. The college embraces equity, inclusion, and social justice, with core goals of Student Attainment, Diversity, Community Engagement, and Sustainability. Highline received a distinguished Award of Excellence from the American Association of Community Colleges in 2014, as well as the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award in 2013 and 2014. The college was also named one of the Chronicle of Higher Education's Best Colleges to Work For in 2010, 2013 and 2015.
The Communications Consultant 2 reports directly to the Director of Marketing, Design & Production. This position assists with writing and editing for print and web and takes the lead on managing the college's top-level social media channels. In addition, this position is responsible for light photography, image editing, and updating the college's web calendar.
This position is a classified full-time position and eligible for overtime.
SALARY INFORMATION: The above salary range reflects the starting step (Step A) and ending step (Step L) salary for this classified position. As a new employed classified employee, based on annual increments, it will take 5 years to reach Step L on the salary schedule. This does not reflect any contractual changes, legislative mandated salary increases or Cost of Living Increases (COLA's) that may be approved in the future.
- Essential Tasks
Reporting directly to the Director of Marketing, Design & Production, this position will:
- Independently develops (and writes) original story ideas for print, web and social media;
- Gathers background information by research and personal interviews under established guidelines;
- Drafts communication/marketing materials such as brochures, press releases, social media posts, webpages;
- Reviews and assists in editing marketing materials created by others on the Communications and Marketing team to ensure proper grammar, clarity, and form of presentation;
- Maintains and grows college's social media presence by writing and posting original and repurposed content to college's top-level social media channels on a daily basis;
- Monitors activity on college's top-level social media channels (questions, comments, likes, mentions) and actively engages and responds in a timely and professional manner;
- Stays abreast of campus events and how to leverage them on social media channels;
- Attend select campus events for the purpose of live social media posting;
- Acts as primary point person for updating the college's web-based calendar of events including actively engaging with campus departments to seek out event posting opportunities;
- Acts as lead photographer for the Marketing and Communications Department;
- Ability to technical knowledge of computer software for basic image and graphic manipulation;
- Ability to work in a dynamic, team environment to develop and implement communications and/or marketing plans, such as guidelines, procedures, flowcharts, and timelines;
- Understand the importance of customer service while assisting in liaison work between campus clients and other Marketing and Communications staff.
- Ability to write and edit copy for a wide variety of mediums, including print, web and social media;
- Ability to create editorial content within organizational style and brand guides;
- Be competent in various styles of writing – relational, creative, feature, and marketing;
- Ability to manage social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and LinkedIn;
- Ability to use a digital camera and understand the principles of good photography;
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite and basic image editing skills using Adobe Photoshop;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Demonstrated ability to survey, question, listen, translate, and implement changes based on feedback from campus clients and supervisor
- Ability to grasp an overview of projects and to organize and prioritize each step in the process of project production;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and verbal);
- Work in a multicultural environment.
- Associated Press style writing and experience with style guides;
- Marketing strategies;
- BA in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Technical Writing or related field; AND
- Two years of marketing/communications writing experience including some experience writing for social media.
- Master Degree
- Supplemental Information
- Current Resume;
- Letter of Interest (Cover Letter) describing how your skills and abilities relate to this position;
- A one page Diversity Response. (found in the Supplemental Questions)
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must submit to and complete a National Criminal Background Check.
- This position is covered under the the Washington Public Employees Association (WPEA) bargaining agreement.
Application materials will be accepted until the position is filled.
Applications May Be Filed Online At: